Saturday, December 24, 2016

ConvertTo-MvmcVirtualHardDisk: The entry is not a supported disk database entry for the descriptor.

I’ve ran into this issue twice now when trying to convert an ova into a vhd using ConvertTo-MvmcVirtualHardDisk.

Here’s what happens…

I download the ova, rename the file to .zip and extract the contents.  The virtual machines have typically been created/tested with Virtual Box so the archive usually includes an ovf and vmdk.

I open PowerShell and attempt to use ConvertTo-MvmcVirtualHardDisk but run into this error:

image

Here’s how to fix it.

1. Download dsfok-tools by Dariusz Stanislawek and extract the contents of the archive.

2. Run cmd.exe as administrator

3. Extract descriptor1.txt from the vmdk using dsfo.exe

image

4. Make a backup copy of descriptor1.txt.  If anything goes wrong just inject the backup.

5. Open descriptor1.txt (using NotePad++)

image

6. Comment all the lines after #DDB, delete the NUL and any “white space” at the end of the file.  Save the file.

image

7. Inject descriptor1.txt into the vmdk using dsfi.exe

image

8. Convert the vmdk to vhd

image

9. Create the virtual machine, attach the disk and boot the machine.

image

No comments:

Post a Comment